Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Dreaming of the West

To Bid
I set up this still life for my new students this past spring.  We like to weed out the weak ones in the herd right at the start.  Those angles scared some of them away but those who stuck with it were soooo happy.  They surprised themselves as their first attempt at painting ( and drawing ) in oil turned out so well.  I teach demonstration style which is how I learned a lot in a very short time, and those of you who take workshops know how well this method works.  Anyways I taught my students a lot about using their brush to determine angles, measure for placement, and how to hold the brush for different effects.  So many new students come to me thinking that you hold the brush like a pencil.  Those old habits are hard to break but well worth the effort.  You can read more about my methods of teaching still life in my book which can be purchased through my blog , and through ebay.  If watching a video floats your boat, I have those too :-)

No comments: