Saturday, October 28, 2017

This week's project

This is what I have been working on this week.  I went to a friend's house out in the country for a fall bonfire/potluck.  Thankfully I had my camera with me.  I was struck in the gloaming, of how the grass was almost a spring green and the fall trees glowed with the last hurrah of the sun.  I threw in a dramatic sky in the background from a photo that I had taken earlier in the same week.  I had fun knitting the two together.

I begin with a wash of burnt sienna, a quick abstract of the basic composition, a block in of basic colors and then refine, refine, refine while trying to hold on to the painterly brush stokes and some of the under painting.  That is the trickiest part.  I will sit with this now for a week or so and give it another look to see if there are areas that need more work.




No comments: