Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Gifts from the garden

Last week it was so wonderfully cool and wet that I got the whole garden weeded in the matter of a couple of hours.  Then we went away for the weekend and when I returned.... did I mention "wet" ?   Anyways there were tons of weeds and now there are too many mosquitos and it is nearly 100 degrees out so needless to say I think I will let the weeds win this battle till it cools off again.  On the up side, my luck with cucumbers is on again, off again (I don't poison ) and apparently this is my year.  getting tons of cucumbers, peppers and my tomato plants look great but not nearly enough tomatoes to suit me.  This year I am trying a couple of new things... goji berries and ground cherries.  both are growing like gangbusters but the goji berries don't live up to their hype.  I will dry them and then see what I think but the fresh ones aren't tasty enough for me.  The ground cherries, on the other hand, are a great addition to the garden.  I really like the taste and I like the unique little lanterns you find them in.

Peaches and blackberries are from our community garden just behind the house.

No comments: