Friday, July 18, 2014

Finding food in my back yard

Since I have places in my yard that get no mowing ( my garden ) I am able to see what might sprout up on its own.  I pull plenty of Bermuda grass but I am finding so many edible things that want to be there naturally.  Last night I made curried greens from some of the plants that I allow to stay in the garden.  Just for fun, I researched their nutritional value . ( I love Google!)  Turns out that Purslane has more omega3 fatty acids than ANY other green veggie and was among the highest in Vitamin A.  Dandelion was in the top 4 green veggies for over all nutritional value.  Lambsquarters, more good stuff than spinach!  Poke Sallet ( don't EVER eat this raw, boil and pour off water and then cook again )   High in protein, folate, magnesium, Vitamins A and C and B6.  Wood sorrel for a lemony taste Vitamin C.  And this stuff doesn't have to be planted, tended, weeded, poisoned!  It is provided for you for FREE ( which is my favorite word )

Why is it we have so trained ourselves that it isn't food unless we buy it?  I don't know but if you took a look at the prices on ORGANICALLY grown anything you might start taking a look at what grows in your own yard.  Why not do an experiment.  Turn over a small portion of your back yard and see what editable goodies find their way to you.
This is some purslane that I found growing in my basil box. 

No comments: